Sunday, March 31, 2013

NO JUNKFOOD CHALLENGE - Day 12

Courtney:
This will be quick because my computer battery is about to die and I'm going to bed. But today was a well done last day of the challenge - green smoothie for breakfast, Fuddrucker's for lunch (only the best burger of your entire life! on a whole wheat bun with sweet potato fries!) and some spaghetti with veggies for dinner.

Virtual hi-5's to Jeni - WE DID IT! Tomorrow is going to be a fantastic Easter :)

Hope all of you have a beautiful weekend, and just wait till you see what our new challenge is for April!

Jeni:
Ok, it's nearly 3am and I'm just now posting. It's been a long, lazy day here at the apartment. I got some kind of stomach bug that keeps giving me a 24 bout of bathroom fun and then magically goes away.

Ed did make some yummy dinner though, and I enjoyed every bite! Pork chops, cucumber salad, stewed zucchini and tomatoes, and some rice! So yummy!

Since the day was long and somewhat miserable, Ed asked if I would end the challenge early so we could enjoy some ice cream and a movie. I texted Courtney and she said that was cool, so there you go.
It's been a good run!
I feel really good about how diligent I was and the things I learned. I can honestly say I don't think sugary foods will be big part of my future. I have pinned a lot of healthy baked goods that I want to try in April and I'll let you know how all of that goes, but as for over processed and super sugary, no thank you! I like being able to walk up my stairs and not be winded!

I wanted to tell you all about Bountiful baskets really quick.
http://www.bountifulbaskets.org/
That's their website and there are links for all the states that they service.

You order a basket whenever you need one, on a once a week basis. Ed and I do every other week, since we can't get through it that fast.
When you first sign up there is a $3 dollar fee to buy a basket, but you never pay that again.
Each traditional basket is guaranteed 50% fruit and 50% veggies for $15.
They get the BEST of the best, and for a little more you can get all organic stuff as well.
Ed and I have loved our baskets so far.
They also do other packages that you can add, like tropical, salsa and breads.
The idea is that lots of people pay into a pot and they can go buy the produce wholesale and then divide it up to all those who paid in for a lot less.
We go pick ours up at the High School in town each Saturday morning.
I wanted to let you know what we got today!

I'm guess-timating numbers a bit...
1 bunch of bananas
1 pineapple
3 zucchini
4 cucumbers
1 bag of cuties
1 head of green leaf lettuce (the good stuff)
and I can't remember the rest.

Last week:
1 head of broccoli (big)
1 head of cauliflower (big)
2 lemons
4 apples
1 bunch of bananas
3 grapefruit
2 mangos
1 head of green lettuce
4 tangelos
1 bunch of asparagus
and I think I might be forgetting something, but you get the idea.

Ed and I had gone out one night to get a few veggies to eat with our dinner and spent the same amount on 1 avocado, 1 cucumber, spinach and 2 tomatoes!

As poor college kids, we really didn't think we'd be able to afford produce, but we love love love Bountiful Baskets and are really grateful to have heard about them!

Ok, onto my picture for today...
Poor dogs, who will never know the joys of chocolate. I can't wait for a little indulgence tomorrow (today). In all honesty, it feels a little forced and guilty, but I hope I can have a good Easter and just enjoy my day off. The husband and I are going to our friend's house (another young married couple away from home) and doing a dinner there. Ed is the master chef, so he's doing lots of fun stuff and I can't wait to eat it! :)

I really hope you have a good Easter.
Be happy and healthy!
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment